Registered Nurse - Sexual Health
- Fantastic opportunity for an experienced Sexual Health Nurse to join a well-respected Aboriginal community controlled health service!
- Attractive base salary circa $105,469 plus super, huge additional allowances & free, fully-furnished accommodation!
- Superb work/life balance - return home or explore the stunning Kimberley region with paid airfares & additional leave every 6 weeks!
About the Organisation
Kimberley Aboriginal Medical Services (KAMS) is a well-established regional Aboriginal community controlled health service, founded in 1986, which provides centralised advocacy and resource support for 6 independent member services, as well as providing direct clinical services in a further 6 remote Aboriginal communities across the region.
KAMS has successfully delivered high-quality, accessible comprehensive primary health care services over its 34 years of operation and has provided innovation and national leadership in areas such as health information management and evidence-based best practice in primary health care.
About the Opportunities
Kimberley Aboriginal Medical Services (KAMS) is currently looking for experienced Sexual Health Nurse – RAN to join their team in Kutjungka, WA on a full-time basis, working a 6 weeks on - 3 weeks off roster.
Reporting to the Kutjungka Clinic Manager, you will be improving sexually transmitted infection (STI) and blood borne virus (BBV) screening, management, and education, promoting the integration of STI/BBV testing with existing primary health care services in response to a recent Syphilis outbreak and endemic levels of other STIs.
More specifically, you will be:
- Developing strategies for increasing screening at a local level, particularly for at-risk individuals who have not been screened or are under-screened;
- Facilitating community based health education and training regarding the risks, prevention, and management of STI/BBVs;
- Working with a designated Aboriginal Health Worker/Practitioner to improve contact tracing processes and completeness;
- Practicing according to relevant management guidelines, including the Kimberley STI guidelines and national program guidelines for point of care syphilis testing;
- Supporting the widespread uptake, implementation and revision of the Kimberley Sexual Health Protocols, including the development of new protocols as required; and
- Seeking feedback from community and target groups, as well as ensuring the ongoing evaluation of screening coverage and uptake for clients.
What you'll need to be successful
To be considered for this position you will be recognised by AHPRA as a Registered Nurse, with a post-graduate qualification in sexual health and demonstrated experience in sexual health or primary health care nursing.
You'll have a solid understanding of issues affecting the health and wellbeing of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people, with demonstrated experience delivering direct nursing care in remote areas.
KAMS is looking for someone with the strong interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills necessary to conduct training and education sessions for a range of audiences, including young people, health professionals, and community members.
Importantly, you'll be a collaborative team player with outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to adapt your communication style to work effectively with people from a wide range of cultures and backgrounds.
Please note: Due to the frequent travel required, you will need to hold a current, Manual Driver's Licence, and be comfortable travelling by 4WD or light aircraft as required.
Kimberley Aboriginal Medical Services is an organisation that truly values its team, and is committed to improving employee knowledge, skills and experience. Staff development programs are not only encouraged but are often paid for by KAMS.
For your hard work and dedication, you will be rewarded with a competitive base salary circa $105,469 plus super, with an additional availability and call out payment at 25% of your base salary.
KAMS offers a fantastic work/life balance, with access to 2 weeks isolation leave and up to $1,200 in isolation airfares after every 6 weeks worked in the community, to give you the opportunity to return home or explore some of the fantastic sights the Kimberly Region has to offer.
You will also have access to a range of additional benefits, including:
- Fully-furnished accommodation for your time spent in the community;
- Additional annual airfare allowance up to $1,285, available after 12 months of employment; and
- Annual district allowance of $2,740 (for a single person) or $5,480 (to include a dependent partner or child).
For someone with an interest in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health, this is a fantastic opportunity to make a real difference in remote communities.
About the Kimberley Region
The Kimberley region is located in the northern part of Western Australia and covers an area three times larger than England. Despite its size, it has only three main towns (Broome, Derby and Kununurra) and a total population of less than 40,000. Access to much of the region is by dirt road, air, or sea, but despite this isolation, visitors come from around the world to see some of the most stunning landscapes Australia has to offer, with majestic canyons, dramatic waterfalls and ancient cave systems, as well as some of the world’s most beautiful beaches and unique marine life.
The Kutjungka region of Kimberley has a population of approximately 1,000, encompassing the remote Aboriginal communities of Balgo, Billiluna and Mulan, as well as the magnificant Lake Gregory.
This is an excellent opportunity to develop your skills, advance your career & enhance your cultural knowledge in a stunning outback location. Make a positive difference — Apply Now!
People who identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander are encouraged to apply.
Please fill out you Personal Details below.