Pre Dialysis Coordinator / Chronic Kidney Disease Educator
About Kimberley Renal Services
Kimberley Renal Services (KRS) includes 4 Renal Health Centres based in Fitzroy Crossing, Broome, Kununurra, and Derby and a mobile prevention unit.
The incidence of Kidney Disease in the Kimberley is one of the highest in Australia. Chronic Kidney disease (CKD) and End-Stage Kidney Disease (ESKD) incidence within the Aboriginal population of the Kimberley greatly exceeds the national burden of disease. Dialysis prevalence for this region has more than tripled in the last decade and is increasing at a much faster rate than in the rest of Western Australia (WA).
KRS and the regional Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services (ACCHS) have developed a renal strategic plan to help combat this health crisis. This has enabled many patients to return to the Kimberley from Perth, which is 2,500kms away, to receive their treatment.
About the Opportunity
The Kimberley Renal Service now has an opportunity for a Pre Dialysis Coordinator/ Chronic Kidney Disease Educator to join their multidisciplinary team based in Fitzroy Crossing WA. This role is offered 0.5 FTE Pre Dialysis Coordinator, 0.5 FTE Chronic Kidney Disease Educator.
Reporting to the Kimberley Renal Support Service Manager, you will be responsible for providing education and support for Kimberley Health Service providers to improve awareness of kidney disease and enhance care for clients with advancing kidney disease and raising awareness and understanding of the factors which lead to the development of chronic kidney disease.
Some of your key responsibilities will include:
Pre Dialysis Coordinator
- Provide direct services in the Kimberley to ensure access for clients to timely pre dialysis coordination, education and care.
- Contribute to the ongoing development and consolidation of the Kimberley Renal Support Service.
- Develop, implement and evaluate culturally appropriate resources.
- Coordinate and maintain the access surgical list for the Kimberley Renal Services in consultation with other KRS Pre Dialysis Access Coordinators and Royal Perth Hospital.
- Work closely with the primary health care providers to assist in caring of patients.
Chronic Kidney Disease Educator
- Planning and delivering services for stage 1-3 CKD patients and their families;
- Supporting local primary health care services to educate individuals, families and communities about the importance of regular health checks;
- Supporting and assisting local service providers to deliver appropriate education for individuals, clients and communities about strategies which are known to reduce the incidence of chronic kidney disease;
- Providing education and support for health providers in the uptake of Kimberley Chronic Disease Therapeutic Protocols; and
- Engaging in local health promotion activities to support the prevention of chronic disease in the region.
To be successful in this role, you will be eligible for registration as a General Nurse with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (AHPRA) or suitably qualified Health Professional such as Aboriginal Health Practitioner, Diabetes Educator, Dietician, Podiatrist, Physiotherapist or Occupational Therapist (Batchelor Degree or higher) - and have advanced renal clinical skills.
You will have the ability to effectively communicate with, and conduct in-service, training and education to a range of audiences including health professionals, community organisations and community members. You will also have proficiency in Microsoft Office, along with experience with database systems and report writing skills.
While not essential, candidates with the following will be highly regarded:
- Post graduate nephrology qualification (or working towards)
- Experience in working in an Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Service
- Experience in health promotion activities
Successful candidates must have a current “C" class driver’s licence, ability to travel by road and/or small planes as required, and willingness to undergo a National Police Check prior to employment with KRS.
To view the Pre-dialysis Coordinator position description, please click here.
To view the Chronic Kidney Disease Educator position description, please click here.
About the Benefits
KRS is an organisation that truly values its team, and is committed to improving employee knowledge, skills and experience. In addition, staff development programs are not only encouraged but are often paid for by KRS. These are highly attractive opportunities for someone with a desire to develop their professional knowledge and experience in the area of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health!
There are also a wide range of fantastic additional benefits for the role, including:
- Attractive base salary of $115,866 PLUS Super;
- Accommodation Allowance $13,000; and
- Annual airfares of $1,683 on 12 months of continuous service
Working closely with patients, their families and carers, this is a role where you will witness the direct positive impact you're making in the community, as part of a close-knit KRS team. You will be continually recognised for your dedication and hard work!
Don't miss this exciting and rewarding opportunity to have a positive impact on the health outcomes of Indigenous communities in the spectacular Kimberley region - Apply Now!