Lead General Practitioner
- Unique opportunity for an experienced General Practitioner working with Aboriginal communities in remote WA
- Attractive remuneration circa $280,000 (pro-rata) + allowances
About the Organisation
Kimberley Aboriginal Medical Services LTD (KAMS) is a well-established regional Aboriginal community controlled health service, founded in 1986, which provides centralised advocacy and resource support for 6 independent member services, as well as providing direct clinical services in a further 6 remote Aboriginal communities across the region.
KAMS has successfully delivered high-quality, accessible comprehensive primary health care services over its 30 years of operation and has provided innovation and national leadership in areas such as health information management and evidence-based best practice in primary health care.
About the Region
The Kimberley region is located in the northern part of Western Australia and covers about 421,000 square kilometres. The Kimberley has only three towns with a population of more than 2,000 (Broome, Derby and Kununurra), and the total population is around 37,000. In addition to the sealed Route 1 which runs along the southern part of the area, the unsealed Gibb River Road runs through the heart of the region from Derby to the highway near Kununurra. Access to much of the region is by dirt road, air or sea.
About the Opportunity
Bidyadanga Health Centre has a highly rewarding opportunity for a dedicated Lead General Practitioner to join their multidisciplinary team in WA. Reporting to the KAMS Senior Medical Officer, this role provides comprehensive primary health care in line with accepted best practice standards and in conjunction with the multidisciplinary team, assist in the development and maintenance of high quality health services, ensuring continuous monitoring, quality improvement and innovation in the delivery of comprehensive primary health services. Bidyadanga Health Centre is connected with the WACHS Emergency Telehealth Service.
This role is being offered on a full time basis.
Some of your key responsibilities will include (but will not be limited to):
- Provide clinical primary health care services to Bidyadanga as part of the regular GP roster;
- Provide emergency assessment, stabilisation and liaise closely with the Royal Flying Doctor Service for timely evacuation of clients requiring hospitalisation and /or more advanced care
- To participate on the on-call roster system for Beagle Bay and Bidyadanga Clinics
- Ensure that clinical care is in line with regional best practice standards
- Ensure a commitment to the uptake of Kimberley Clinical Protocols, Kimberley Standard Drug list, and other endorsed tools for regional best practice.
- Participate in regional and local KAMS health initiatives - such as health research, regional best practice guidelines, health information, IT development, medical education and training and other areas of clinical governance. It is encouraged to contribute your own expertise to such projects as well as taking up the opportunity to develop in areas of particular personal and career interest.
To view the full position description, please click here.
To be considered for this position you will need to demonstrate/hold the following:
- Eligible for registration in WA
- Minimum of 5 years general practice / primary health care experience
- Commitment to the philosophy and practice of Aboriginal Community Control
- Competent to manage emergencies in remote setting
- Ability to travel by air and/ or road on a regular basis
- Sound knowledge and understanding of Aboriginal culture
- Proven ability to communicate and work effectively with Aboriginal people
- Current GP Supervisor accreditation (or eligible to undergo training for this)
In addition, you will need to have a current C class manual driver's license and be willing to travel by 4WD and light aircraft when required. It is a requirement that the successful candidate be willing to undergo a National Police Check prior to employment with KAMS.
Above all, you will be a passionate leader with the drive to improve the services Bidyadanga Health Centre provides whilst engaging with patients to improve health outcomes throughout the Indigenous community.
About the Benefits
This position presents the successful candidate with the opportunity to join one of Western Australia's most reputable health services. In this rewarding role, you will have the opportunity to make a real impact on the health outcomes throughout remote Indigenous communities. This organisation truly values its team and is committed to improving employee knowledge, skills and experience. In addition, staff development programs are not only encouraged but are often paid for by KAMS. This role is a highly attractive opportunity for someone with a desire to develop their professional knowledge and experience in the area of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health!
While you will face diverse new challenges in the role, you will also enjoy an attractive salary circa $280,000 (pro-rata) and a further host of benefits, including:
- Subsidised Accommodation;
- 6 weeks annual leave (pro-rata);
- 2 weeks professional development leave (pro-rata)
- Phone allowance of $100 per month;
- On-call allowance of 10% of base salary;
- Annual Airfares to the value of $1,285 pa (after 12 months of employment);
Please note: People of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent are strongly encouraged to apply.
This is an excellent opportunity to develop your skills, advance your career and enhance your cultural knowledge in stunning outback locations. Make a positive difference — Apply Now!
Please fill out you Personal Details below.